Sunday, April 15, 2012

Day Eighteen - A Step Back in Time

Today we stepped back into time by visiting Harpers Ferry National Historical Park and Gettysburg National Military Park


We started our visit at the Visitors Center in Harpers Ferry and then took a shuttle bus to Lower Town.  We were happy to see wheelchair access!


 I loved the church on the hilltop!


 The sign to the left of the door marks the water levels during flooding.  Hard to believe the water was ever that high. 


 I loved the quaint old buildings.










  
 This is the site of John Brown's Fort.  There is an old firehouse sitting there now. 




 Harpers Ferry lies at the confluence of the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers. 



 It was flowing so peacefully while we were there. 

 





 It was hard to imagine this as a site of war. 





We left Harpers Ferry and headed to Gettysburg. 


 Mike and Evan met up with Abraham Lincoln.




Inside the museum we watched an informative movie and then we up to see the Gettysburg Cyclorama.  This was very cool and my pictures do NOT do this display justice.  It was a 360 picture that was actually restored from the original 1880's era painting.  More info is here.  The display gave the viewer a very realistic feel for what it must have been like to fight in that awful war. 




Tomorrow we will tour more of Gettysburg.  

1 comment:

Tina Ramos said...

Thank you so much for sharing!! Love everything you are posting & I feel like I am on this trip with you! You all look great and I'm so glad your enjoying the trip. Miss you, Have more fun!! =)